Saturday, January 28, 2012

Taco Seasoning



I have a few recipes that call for a packet of taco seasoning spice mix, but my conscience recognizes that individual packets of spice mixes are among some of the most overpriced things you can buy in the grocery store, so I've looked for alternatives over the years. For a while I tried the recipe from an old-school "Make-a-mix" cookbook. But the flavor wasn't quite like I wanted it to be. Then I tried Alton Brown's Taco Potion recipe and have really liked that one. It makes more than I need for one use, so I store it in a little reused glass jar.

Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe:

2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Put all of the ingredients in a small jar and shake to combine. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Yield: 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons

No comments:

Post a Comment